Monday, August 06, 2007

River on the Rise

Hi,

I was standing on the banks of Godavari in between two of the longest river bridges in Asia. It was a beautiful sight. To my left was the oldest bridge connecting Rajahmundry and Kovvuru, which was built by the Britishers, standing rock solid in spite of the wear and tear it has accumulated over 70 odd years. To my right was the newest bridge constructed 10 years ago, made of concrete, with beautiful arches adding aesthetic appeal to it. Both the bridges were separated by not more than 15-20 metres. I was standing in the middle and I had a look at Godavari water which had calmed down after showing its fierceful side 3-4 days ago hitting lots of villages in Konaseema with floods. The water had the calmness and serenity marked by the cool breeze blowing over it, but it still looked ugly because of the lives it had ruined. I looked up and saw the converging parallel lines (quite paradoxical), the two bridges (more than 3 Kms in length, that is how wide Godavari is at my place) running parallel but giving you a view as though they are converging at the other end near Kovvuru. There, at the other end of the bridge a dim light showed as a train was getting onto the new bridge, at the same time a lightning flashed in the sky and I so badly wanted to capture that moment in a photograph. But they say a picture is worth 1000 words. Let me see if a 1000 words can give you the experience the picture had given me. Below is an attempt at poetry (bricks n bats welcome)

Stood I with my feet sunk in the godavari river
froze I as the breeze touched me as cool as ever

To my left stood an old bridge solid like a rock
to my right was the newer bridge that carried the track

As I looked towards the horizon where both of them kissed
the dim light of a train showed, as the river below hissed

Beauty filled my eyes as lightning filled the skies
and I sang a song in praise of the river on the rise

No comments: