Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Don't lean towards the left... it's not right

Hi,

I have decided to use more of my right brain at work from now on. When I come to think of it, all the learnings I have had in my life have been in the left side of the brain - Be systematic, be logical, follow rules, be on time, deliver on time, deliver what is expected, etc etc. But never had I said to myself - appeal to the imagination of the end user, Be creative with the work product, imagine yourself in the end user's shoes and look at what might be expected, go beyond what the customer says. Well, I did use some of these at times at work but never very consciously. I believe not using right brain and using the left brain continuosly can be a reason for stress at work. In the sense, being systematic, following known procedures and processes is like routine which bores you easily. This also adds a lot to your guilt conscience because when you do not do something in an organised fashion, you tend to criticise yourselves. So, you are always thinking of the daily routine you are 'supposed' to follow as a resonsibility on your shoulders.

'Responsibility' sounds like a very positive quality but if you look at it what it means is - ability to come with a response. It is similar to 'answerability' and 'accountability'. I am not saying these are not required, but getting them too much into your head makes you think of only how to satisfy the other person, how to satisfy your boss, peers etc, but not yourself. So, next time a task gets allocated to you, instead of getting into a duty conscious mind (the responsible person), look at it as a piece of work at which you can excel. That would make you work for yourself and the quality will also improve because you are using more of your right brain.

No comments: